I grew up a typical "X-gener". I've played copious amounts of video games on all the latest "had to have" systems from the Atari 2600 to the Nintendo Wii. I rushed home from grade school to plop myself down in front of the television set in my bedroom, so as not to miss the latest episodes of Transformers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Much of my young adult life was wasted exploring the wonders (and seedy underbelly) of the World Wide Web. And now, early on in my 30's, I find myself constantly drawn to the shiniest new consumer electronics, buying them when I have the means. Do I really need to mention that my favorite store is Best Buy?

My question, or perhaps my concern is a better way of putting it, is this: Did growing up part of the "Me Generation" made me an ill-equipped father? I know it is a bit of hyperbole to pose the question in such a manner; and anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a fine father in all the ways that matter most. It is most likely just my pursuit of perfection in child rearing (as if such a notion exists!), and constant self analysis that is to blame for driving this silly concern.

Regardless of the reasons, there does exist this sneaky bit of guilt that creeps into my head after I have allowed my boys too much "videogame" time, or put on the latest Pixar flick for them to watch at night, or allowed/encouraged them to buy a cheap plastic, "Made in China" toy that is reminiscent of my youth. (Side note: Dear Mr. Toy Company Exec, Don't think I don't know what you are doing by coming out with Transformers and GI Joes to sell to my kids. I know you are just playing off of my nostalgia. I am on to you!) Wouldn't a better father be encouraging his kids to put that videogame/movie time to better, more practical use by reading a book or practicing math problems? And wouldn't a better father tell his kids to invest that money spent on cheap plastic toys in some interest bearing account for future financial ease?

So then, why do I keep falling into these traps and allowing my kids such "extravagances"? The answer if painfully clear. It is because this is how I spent my youth. I am passing on what I learned as an "X-gener". Even more than that, it is how I still desire to spend my own time. Amirite, fellow "X-geners"??! ;)

The answer? Probably just that old adage of "everything in moderation". Even with that in play, I will most likely always continue to feel some measure of guilt...

1 Comment:

  1. Dean & Tara said...
    My friend, I would be one of those who would highly doubt in your deficiency as a father figure. Moderation, to each their own, reliving your own chilhood, sharing in the joy of your boy's youth - call it whatever you want. You know that in all that fun you regularly teach them responsibility, thinking for themselves, right from wrong, negotiating life's obstacles. Why question your methods and feel guilt for a parenting system that is working?
    But, kudos to you nonetheless on the self-analysis. And big HOORAY for a new, insightful blog post.

Post a Comment