I want to take a break from politics today (I think things will progress just about the same in that world, regardless of what I would have blogged today) and instead point out and pay tribute to a major milestone in the world of sports that was accomplished last night.

As you may or may not be aware, Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants hit his 756 home run last night; and in so doing, moved into first place all by himself with most home runs hit in a career. The previous record holder was Hank Aaron who finished his career with 755 home runs. To put this record breaking event into context, the original record holder was Babe Ruth who finished up his career in 1935 with 715 home runs. This record stood for almost 40 years until Aaron broke it in 1974. Aaron's mark of 755 then stood for another 33 years until it was broken last night. So, really, we only get one of these type events every 30-40 years. Big deal, in my opinion.

Of course, if you know anything about Barry Bonds and the state of baseball today, you know this milestone was not without controversy. We have just exited from the sad era of steroids in baseball. While this made for some excitement, and some huge numbers for people watching and being interested in baseball (remember Sosa and McGwire going for the single season HR record, Barry breaking it a couple years later), it has also left a sour taste in the mouths of many baseball fans. While I have never been a big fan of Bonds (I have actually rooted against him much of his career), I find him a victim and a sympathetic figure in this whole mess. The problem with steroids in baseball is/was much bigger than just Bonds. To me it goes all the way up to the commissioner's lack of getting a hold of the situation before it got out of control (again, see the big numbers created in the 'steroid era' as motivation for not doing anything). I see the sports writers being responsible for turning a blind eye to the problem when it was convenient to write about the records being broken, and turning a laser beam focused light on the issue when it was convenient to throw all the players under the bus. I see all the players using steroids as cumulatively responsible for setting an artificial bar for everyone else to either follow or lose out in their careers. You can not put this all on the shoulders of Bonds.

Whatever the case, I still want to mention and honor this great achievement. I have always, and will always love the game of baseball. To me this era of steroid controversy was a black eye, but it is over. We should move on, ensure it doesn't happen in the future, and teach our kids to love America's 'great pastime'.

Thanks for reading..

2 Comments:

  1. ~Ria~ said...
    Although, I am not a fan of Americas favorite pastime I did want to touch on the part of this blog that stuck out for me. I can't even imagine the media would play into these controversies. You make it sound like they choose what to write and only write stories to sell papers. Are you accusing the media of being ran by huge profit seeking corporations?;-)
    Amy Y said...
    Blah blah baseball blah.
    Just kidding. :) Go Barry!
    Down with the profit seeking media corporations!

Post a Comment