As I stated in my previous post, I am hoping for a brief pause in the ugliness of this year's Presidential campaign while the Olympics are being held in China. With that in mind, I am going to try and stay above the fray and focus on the games. I will not be pointing out how mean and ridiculous Sen. McCain looks in his rehashed "Obama is Paris Hilton" ads that play during every commercial break of the games. I will not be questioning as to how Sen. McCain could possibly, with a straight face, run an ad that tries to portray himself as the "alternative energy guy". And I certainly won't be making much of this quote from ABC News political analyst Cokie Roberts: "I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time." (except to say that it pretty much sums up the media's usefulness in this election)

Nope, you will hear none of that talk from me. I would rather just sum up my viewership of the games this weekend in a few short sentences:


  • The Chinese set the bar so high with the opening ceremony that no other country may be able to ever match it, simply stunning.
  • Props to President Bush for being the first Prez to visit the Olympic games on foreign soil.
  • The men's 4x100 freestyle relay was the most exciting swimming event I have ever watched.
  • The USA men's basketball team, the so called "Redeem Team", should easily make their way to the gold medal.
  • The Chinese are going to win a LOT of gold medals.

That is all for now. I will give more impressions throughout the week. Until then, USA, USA!

1 Comment:

  1. Dean & Tara said...
    Spare a thought for the Aussies (and those Americans living in Australia who are torn)... Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oi Oi Oi!!!
    Plus, you might be intersted to know that the media here is calling Michael Phelps - "the swimming freak".

Post a Comment